Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Miss New York 2009

Where do I begin? Being crowned Miss New York is indescribable. First of all, I literally do not remember the actual crowning moment. My excitement was so overwhelming I had to look at pictures to remember exactly what happened. This is an amazing opportunity and I feel truly blessed to have this experience.



Since being crowned Miss New York, I have had many appearances and the opportunity to meet some wonderful people. It all began with radio interviews, press conferences, newspaper interviews, and other media. All of this media coverage was fast paced and interesting...I was still trying to remind myself, "I really am Miss New York". I would say it definitely took a month to actually sink in.

Back home from Albany and the excitement from pageant week, it was time to plan headshots, paperwork, and follow up with all of my contacts I had made as Miss Westchester County. My belief is you have to be proactive and network before you have any title to strengthen the organization, get people involved, and get people excited. After you do win, you have a team of supporters (that you created) who are ready to help you and support you to the next level. This marketing strategy has worked well for me as an actress and I apply the same philosophy to marketing my title. My sponsors were extremely proud.



Next came the actual preparation for Miss America. Everyone says to me "wow, you have six months until the big show. What is there to worry about?" Well, there is a lot to worry about and six months will be here before I know it. It all starts with the paperwork that is due to the Miss America national office four weeks after a state contestant is crowned. This is the information that is submitted to the judges who will decide the next Miss America. Instantly, I was shooting my headshots with Joseph Moran and working on my paperwork. I have taken many headshots and I must say working with Joseph was great. He was relaxed, fun, and I had really delicious strawberries and cherries to eat in between shots! :) I can't complain. My headshots capture who I am. They display grace, power, and the compelling story I have to share.

As far as my paperwork is concerned...that was definitely a process. It is quite challenge trying to explain how you will change the world, through an issue that is so heartfelt, in just one page. While developing my paperwork, I found that my platform is not only to honor but to help our military families, veterans, all who have served and who continue to serve, as well as capturing their stories. It is our brave servicemembers who protect our freedom and it is time for our heroes to be given their lives back.

Through this process, I found a deeper passion for the needs of all aspects of our servicemembers, veterans, and their families but I was also able to connect to a deeper part of myself that had been completely forgotten and pushed away. Due to this discover during the "paperwork process" I am reminded that everything in one's life happens for a reason. As Randy Pausch says "We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand" 

I look forward to embarking on this journey ahead and the road to Miss America 2010.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I'm so excited...I just wanted you to know that I think YOU will be crowned "Miss America 2010" on Saturday, and I (for one) can't wait to see it. You're everything our Miss America should be; a beautiful young woman, poised, smart, talented, etc. (Definitely "etc".) I know that you'll carry out you're resposibilities the same way that you wear your crown....proud! I love you/we love you and wish you the best of luck. Happy Birthday and congratulations thus far. You're already a winner!

    ReplyDelete