Tuesday, September 8, 2009

New York City Loves Our Troops--Care Package Drive

On August 28th I pitched in at a care package drive for our troops. This was a humbling experience for me, as is always the case with military work. I was reminded not to take any of the simple necessities for granted. There were many volunteers, ranging from school children to Iraq veterans.

The room was full of boxes that contained different items--soap, shaving cream, deodorant, magazines, dvds, snacks, toilet paper--basically any necessity one may need.


As I packed my boxes, I thought of things I would like to receive and tried to add as many of those items as possible. They even had melba toast--and if you know me well enough, you know I was adding plenty of those!! :) 

Many of the servicemembers I've met have shared with me the items they need and enjoy receiving. Items like baby wipes for their hands and face along with magazines and Sudoku books (which are a big favorite).


I am proud to announce that with the help of many, we packaged 2,500 boxes. These packages are desperately needed and I know the items go very quickly. We plan on having another event at the end of September. If you are interested in helping, please let me know!!

The shipping room holding half of the final packages....


No comments:

Post a Comment